By JHMT StaffJune 9, 2020
In a notice published in the Federal Register today, June 9, the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), requestis information or data from stakeholders regarding the classification, testing, and conditions for transportation of certain devices requesting an approval to be classified as safety devices (UN0503 and UN3268).
The notice states that due to advancements in technologies for safety devices and their associated use and questions concerning the appropriate application of the safety devices proper shipping name and its associated classification, PHMSA is developing a national policy to ensure consistent decisions regarding what devices and uses are eligible for these classifications and potentially the provisions and conditions for their transportation.
View the notice in the Federal Register. Comments can be submitted via Regulations.gov until August 10, 2020. Comments received after that date will be considered to the extent practicable.
For background, readers are suggested these reports from The Journal:
- UN 57th Session Premeeting Report - May/June 2020
- Comments on Letter of Interpretation: What is a Safety Device - March/April 2019
- Comment on a Letter of Interpretation: Special Permit As a CAA for a Safety Device - November/December 2019
- HM-219C: Adoption of Miscellaneous Petitions
- Use the advanced search feature of the Reference Gateway to uncover 10 letters of interpretation spanning a 21 year period including those addressed by Senior Technical Advisor Frits Wybenga. Search keywords: Safety Device